Photron Fastcam BC2 aka Photron Fastcam SA2 Camera Hire
|A comprehensive Photron BC2 / SA2 solution for slow motion HD at 2000fps, based in London. The BC2 is the latest offering from Photron, specifically designed for the film & TV market. The BC2 is based on the successful SA2, sharing all it's features with several new ones, such as an eyepiece connector and additional HD-SDI out connectors on the rear panel. Image quality has been improved too and really is superb, and shooting 1080p, 12 bit colour at up to 2000fps (standard definition 16:9 at 5400fps!) with 640ASA sensitivity, the BC2 provides a better high speed solution than the Phantom HD Gold where portability and speed of use are not as critical. In addition, our BC2 has 32GB of internal memory, twice that of most Phantom HD Golds, giving twice the running time, like for like. With the BC2, the image is sharper and cleaner than the Phantom HD Gold, but it does not have the Phantom's CineMag facility (making long downloads on set inevitable) and cannot be easily used on anything other than a tripod (certainly not handheld!). Both these issues are being addressed by Pirate: watch this space.|
Due to the success of our ShotServer system and the now established workflows for Phantom HD Gold footage, we can provide the same service for the Photron BC2.
Our BC2 is fully equipped with HD colour live-image video eyepieces, a full range of cine lenses and accessories, producing superb, crisp film-quality HD shots with 35mm film depth-of-field at 2000 fps. Our latest idea, ShotServer, really is a must for high-end shoots where time and quality are important. Alternatively, we have built an HD-SDI data capture facility to save on post-production costs where best quality is not needed.
To discuss if the BC2 is right for your shoot, please call Michael or Martin, if you've got 20 minutes ....
- Image size = 2048 x 2048 pixels It's big enough for most people.
- 35mm depth-of-field It's beautiful, really beautiful.
- True 1920 x 1080 High Definition at 2000fps It's the fastest there is.
- 1/500,000 second maximum shutter speed It's rather quick.
- 12 bit colour It's excellent quality.
- HD eyepiece or HD on-board monitor with no image lag Great for setting up and focus pulling.
- Instant playback on Panasonic HD monitor Coo at the graceful way that bullet smashes through plate glass while the next shot is being set up.
- Very sensitive image sensor (ISO 640ASA film equivalent at 360 degree shutter 25 fps) Typical shots require only 10kW tungsten lights, keeping costs lower.
- Data delivered on external hard drive Either as Cine Raw files or 8, 10, or 12 bit Tiffs, or even HD Quicktime movies.
- End Record Trigger Continuously record in a loop and cut when you've seen the action - no more missed takes.
- Synchronise Trigger Kit option Synchronise an event to camera turnover - pyrotechnics have never been so much fun.
- PL, PV, BNCR, Nikon and Sony B4 Lens Mount Suits a wide range of lenses.
- Motion Control Option If you need repeatable high speed camera moves or ultra-fast accurate focus pulls, we have a portable motion control head - the camera can pull focus, zoom, pan & tilt.
What's an HD-SDI Transmitter Receiver System for?
This allows the transmission of a live or playback camera picture without wires, so usually used when the camera is running on batteries, untethered on a rig, quad bike or steadycam, for example. We have the "WEVI CAM-WAVE CW-5HD" microwave link for rental, made by IDX. See here for more information.
What's the 'HD-SDI data capture facility'?
We have built a powerful computer system capable of capturing the Photron's HD-SDI 4:2:2 monitor output as 10 bit uncompressed Quicktime data files. These are supplied on external hard disk, in the same way as the .cine or .tiff files. The data quality is the same or better than recording to a Sony SR55100 deck. The advantage of this approach is that one does not need to download a shot (it is simply recorded whilst watching the playback) and much time is saved in post. However, the downside is that one is not getting best quality data - the camera can provide 12 bit data.
Link to Photron SA2 Specifications
See stunning examples of what the Photron cameras can do
Pirate's Conditions of Hire (printable .pdf file)
|Photron BC2 Camera (32GB Memory) with Sony C35 HD eyepiece, Computer Control system, Tripod & Head, Arri 4" Matte box & 15mm Rails, Panasonic LH1700W HD-SDI monitor, Canon Superspeed Prime Lenses (PL mount, 18mm-T1.5, 24mm-T1.5, 35mm-T1.3, 50mm-T1.3, 85mm-T1.3) (BNCR, PV, Nikon and Sony B4 lens mounts available too)||£1800 per day|
|External Hard Drive, 2TB RAID USB2 & eSATA interfaces, in flight case, hire only||£45|
|Birger lens mount (see here)||£100 per day|
|HD-SDI data capture facility (10 bit uncompressed Quicktimes - similar to Sony SR55100)||£300 per day|
|High Speed Camera Technician||£555 per 10 hours *OT - see here|
|High Speed Camera Assistant||£430 per 10 hours*OT - see here|
|HD-SDI wireless transmitter kit (wireless feed of live camera picture (see here)||£80 per day|
|Panasonic BT-LH900AE HD onboard monitor with built-in WFM||£70 per day|
|Panasonic LH1700W HD-SDI 17" monitor, flight cased on monitor stand||£95 per day|
|HD-SDI to Composite PAL downconverter (for use by video playback operator)||£40 per day|
|14" Sony High Resolution G1 monitor & cage (flight cased)||£90 per day|
|27" Sony Cube monitor in flight case||£75 per day|
|High-speed follow focus||£75 per day|
|Vinten V12 Fluid head & legs||£45 per day|
|Arri mini Hi Hat & Head||£40 per day|
|Scaffolding Camera Mount & Head||£40 per day|
|Optex Excellence Periscope Probe Boroscope - aka 'Abekus' (see here)||£630 per day|
|18mm-T1.5 prime||£85 per day|
|300mm-T2.8 prime - Canon Century Precision||£150 per day|
|Angenieux zoom lens T3.2, 25mm - 250mm||£310 per day |
|90mm Zoomar macro lens T2.8||£50 per day|
|Millisecond Trigger Kit Option (see here)||£280 per day |
|Motion Controlled Head, 4 axis, option (see here)||£910 per 10 hours|
|Conversion of camera raw files to .tif sequence, per GB of camera raw file||£1.05 per GB|
|Pirate Studio dry hire||£550 per 10 hours|
|Inside M25 equipment delivery / collection, inc. technician time||£155|
|Outside M25 equipment delivery / collection £125 minimum or mileage charged at||105p per mile|
|Outside M25 operator travel time charged prorata|
|PLEASE NOTE: THE ABOVE COSTS APPLY TO UK SHOOTS ONLY|